Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Bing

I love looking at the daily photos on the Bing homepage. Today's photo is of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area in Tanzania. It's breathtaking. An African elephant walks through brush while a backdrop of towering, slender trees frame a smooth, flowing mountain range. Extravagant words could stretch endlessly trying to capture its beauty and never succeed.



Yesterday's photo was a night shot of the Brooklyn Bridge in NYC. Sparkling lights and resilient architecture stretch over the placid river. The distant skyline glows in the background.

I flip between the two photos, entirely different settings. There is just no comparison. Tanzania puts NYC to shame. God's creation is incredible. Sure, mankind has engineered some pretty amazing things, but these structures are nothing next to the majesty that God spoke into existence. "Let there be dry land." His beauty and love are so evident in the wonderfully diverse earth He created.

I have traveled to some mesmerizing places. God's raw creation always leaves me speechless. I remember flying over Greenland. The people next to me on the plane probably thought I was an overgrown 6 year old. My heart (and body) were jumping in excitement at my Father's handiwork. Turquoise, like paint, spilled against jagged, ice-topped mountains. The sheer color of the water made my heart squeal.





Also flying over the Swiss Alps, I remember being terrified by its majesty. Cruel, jagged ice claws scraped through the clouds. It was a beautiful and humbling sight. Our God will not be mocked. He is holy and wonderful. Yet we can know Him. He transcends my logic.

I remember watching the sunset on Grand Cayman. A pink and orange sun turning the blue, glass water to purple. I remember praying- "I'm the one in your image? You died to save me? Creation screams your glory, but we are the crown of Creation? I don't understand it. Father, You are beautiful. You leave me speechless."

No comments:

Post a Comment