Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I Was Questioning Love

Sometimes things just don't make sense to me. And it generally seems like either I'm stupid and everyone else gets it, or everyone else is looking over it.
Love. How do we do it?
Church folks, holla. I Cor. 13.
Ok, so I know that we should learn love from God. I got that part. His love in perfect and endless and honestly, illogical. I don't know about you, but if I have learned one thing about this world in my short 20 years, it's that we live in a world full of people not like God. So here was my issue. No one on this earth is ever going to love me like God loves me. I'm not much for fairytales. These sorts of stories paint the image of a too close to perfect man coming in and rescuing our fainting hearts and protecting us from every enemy for the rest of our lives happily ever after. Nice story. Not gonna happen in this humanity. No human male can fulfill all the roles our female hearts create for them.
So how do we respond? I really don't think that we should live in blissful ignorance: loving like God while expecting His love to come from another person. But I have lived on the other extreme, and it's not so pleasant. We can't curse human love and and expect to still dwell in God's love. There is an extreme disconnect there since God died for the humans.

so all these thoughts brought me to this discourse with God:
"Ok. God, so I readily recognize what my own heart's tendencies tell me. We were made to love and be loved like You love. That will never happen here. So again I realize that we were not made for this world, but we are here for now. So how does this work? It sounds like a set up for repeated pain."

I felt kind of mentally stuck for a while, but after some time God has revealed the solution to my feeble mind. We must recognize that He is the only one whose love will continually and faultlessly satisfy us. I want to be completely fulfilled in Him, including emotional fulfillment. And praise God, this is possible. Paul said he counted everything as loss for the sake of knowing Christ. I want to say that. To really say that. To be so tangled up in Him that everything else is loss compared to Him.

My response to God's love and the world's "love" should be to love like God but not be destroyed when humanity doesn't reciprocate that love because I am fulfilled in Him. Moreso- I should not only not be destroyed but also continue thriving in Him.

Ok. It's starting to get clearer. I love when my Father speaks right into my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment