Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Jonah

Jonah 3:1-2
Then the word of the Lord came to Jonah the second time saying, "Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and call out against it the message that I tell you."

The second time.

God's message and purpose is unchanging. His plan had not changed. He wanted to save the Ninevites. God was incredibly patient to go to Jonah a second time, to allow him to still be a part of this plan. Maybe Jonah wasn't asking to be used by God before refusing the marching orders, or maybe he was. I don't know.

First of all, this was not Jonah's mom telling him to get his goats out her flower bed. This was God speaking. Jonah should really not have to be told twice.

Next, I realize that the verse does not say "Jonah, would you like to do something for me in Nineveh?" But while God is certainly telling Jonah to go, he is allowing Jonah to be a part of something great. God doesn't need Jonah to do this. He could send whoever He wanted to, but He chooses Jonah. Even after Jonah runs, God pursues him. He wants Jonah to be a part of this. God's patience is beautiful to me in this passage. So the situation probably didn't seem beautiful to Jonah- go tell a fiercely violent enemy that they are going to die. I imagine it looked absurd to him. But as I read it, I was thinking "Jonah, God is gonna use you to bring a people to Him! Go! Go! You get to be a part of something wonderful! God is being so good to give you another chance. He wants to use you."

And then the sword aspect of God's Word comes. Stab. I wonder how many times God has had to tell me something twice. Not only I am completely arrogant and retarded not to obey the first time, but I'm also just as narrow minded as Jonah. I can sense God leading me in a direction that's scary and uncomfortable. And since that's all my shaded eyes see, I hesitate. God tells me twice and more. He is so patient not to blow out by obstinate life candle right then. He is also so kind to offer me a position in His plan, even after I say "No thanks" or "I'm sorry. What?" I remember several things in my life that I would have never chosen to go through, but He led me through them anyway. Even when the situations were terrifying and painful, I was a part of something beautiful. How different could my perspective of pain be if I recognized the everlasting beauty of God's plan and His goodness to include me in it.

I have to stop and thank God- For everything I've been through. For what I'm going through. For what I will go through- because although it may not be appealing now, I can sense His voice echoing my comments to Jonah: "Come on, Chanel. I know it's scary. But I'm gonna do something incredible here, and I want you to be a part of it."

No comments:

Post a Comment