Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Letting Them Go

Last night I was telling my friend Stephanie about counseling people at the Crisis Pregnancy Center. It is so rewarding. It is terrifying and thrilling all at the same time. I told her about sharing the Gospel and women getting saved. It is so outrageous to be a tool in someone's salvation and to get to witness it! Then we talked about what happens when a client doesn't accept Jesus. What do you do?

She said, "I would want to just keep them there forever."

I said, "I know! Its so hard to draw the line. You can't make the decision for them. You just have to do your best to help them understand what an important decision it is and urge them towards Him. You know? You can't beat them in the head with the Bible. Sometimes you just have to say 'OK. Could I pray for you before you go?' and let them go. But honestly sometimes I want so much to lock the door and not let them leave until they choose Him."

I was mentally replaying this conversation while I was in the shower this morning. When this situation happens with clients, my heart goes crazy. "Don't you understand? This is your eternity in the balance! This is Jesus! He loves you!" It is downright torture to watch someone walk away from His love. But I have to let them go. I started thinking, "Why? I wish I could choose it for them. Its the best thing for them anyway."

Then I hear God's voice, "It's love." Spiritual smack in the face. These clients aren't even walking away from me. They are rejecting Him. How much more must He be tortured when a soul continues without Him! But He lets them go. It's love. It's been this way since the Garden. He let Adam and Eve choose because He loved them. Then I recognize what torture He must feel from me. Yes, I have accepted Him as my Savior, but I sin every day. At some point during my day, I choose evil. I reject His ways. And He lets me! Even though He knows what is best for me, He lets me reject Him. How painful. He's made His point throughout eternity. His Word is always available to me. He has already said how important every decision between good and evil is. But He doesn't choose for me.

He lets me go. Of course, He is ever pursuing me, but He lets me have the option to choose Him or me. Love is crazy. He endured the torture of the cross. But He still endures torture everyday as He chases after us even when we don't choose Him. How much He must love us!

How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He would give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

No comments:

Post a Comment